Links to material talked about in class:
- Calculus in the news — Astronomy and Calculus
- “Should a park be an island?” Cantrell & Cosner, SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics, Vol. 53, No. 1. (Solving a differential equation with boundary/initial conditions)
- “Effects of Dose of Ingested Glucose on Plasma Metabolite and Hormone Responses in Type II Diabetic Subjects.” Gannon, et. al., Diabetes Care, Vol. 12, No. 8. (Finding the area under the curve, trapezoidal rule acknowledged).
- “A Mathematical Model for Determination of Total Area Under Glucose Tolerance and Other Metabolic Curves.” Tai, Diabetes Care, Vol. 17, No. 2. (Finding area under the curve, “rediscovers” trapezoidal/related rules).
- Elliptic Integrals (example of integrals that are highly difficult to “solve”).